Ontario Works Assistance
We just want to say our big Thank You to you for your great assistance and help during our time of difficulty. Thank you for everything that you did for us. Thanks to the Holy Spirit for guiding us to you. God Bless
As promised, I am posting a 5-star review! You helped my friend's family above and beyond any funeral service anyone has ever experienced. Thank you for coming to their house multiple times and putting them in contact with all the right government agencies. This could have been a real burden on them, but all worries are gone. Thank you again.
Our family is so appreciative of the service you and your staff provided. You took away the stress and worry of dealing with so many issues at a time when we could not. As I said, "I couldn't do your job", but I am so glad you can and with such honestly and kindness. We will pass your name to anyone in need.
"Thank you for handling all the details of my father's cremation on our behalf. With no one in Canada, it was comforting knowing someone honest and kind was there to look after my father and all the arrangements. It took away the worry and made everything easier. Blessing."
"This was really a wonderful and happy experience. Never thought I would say this about a memorial service, but it is exactly what my father would have wanted. Laughing, joking and outrageous life stories, what an experience. A family gathered eulogy was perfect, everyone commented how absolutely unique it was. Greatest idea ever, it took all the pain out and brought all the love in."
"Words cannot express my gratitude for the service you have provided. You made a difficult time bearable and assisted in this part of the healing process. Your patience and guidance removed all the fears and stress I had. I am tremendously grateful for the personal care you and your staff take in your work. I will forever recommend your funeral service to all."
"What a welcome service this is. These days, funerals have become so impersonal and 'business-like' that bringing them back into the Church, where we bade our loved ones 'farewell' as they embark on their final journey, is very comforting. The cost of funerals is so horrendous, it's almost cruel but, thank God, Affordable Funeral Services seems to have some compassion for those left behind to bear this expense. Thank you and Blessings for great success."
"What a great company, excellent customer service and affordable prices. In a time of need they know how to look after you. The funeral service was beautiful and simple. Perfect."
"Excellent service. Mr. O'Sullivan was outstanding in making all the arrangements and giving our family the best advice when needed. He was quick to take charge and put our minds at ease. We would highly recommend Affordable Funeral Services and John O'Sullivan for any funeral service needed."
"Our family wants to thank you for your caring and kindness during our recent difficult and stressful time. A mother's passing is always the most difficult time for any family. We truly appreciate your professionalism regarding her funeral, but it is your honestly and caring showed to each and every member of our family and friends that really stands out. Yours is not only a business, but a personal service."
FUNERAL ASSISTANCE: CREMATIONS or BURIALS - ALL ONTARIO RESIDENTS CAN APPLY
Families are not aware of Social Services / Ontario Works Free Funeral & Cremation Assistance. Call 416.270.2436
We offer our services throughout Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Milton, Burlington and surrounding areas.
You don't have to be on social assistance to apply.
FREE Cremation OR BURIAL services
Transfer of Deceased
Secure Holding / Storage
Transfer to Crematorium or Cemetery
Cremation or Burial Container (Victoriaville)
Cremation Fee or Graveside Service
2 Hour Service (Large or Small Chapel)
Witnessing of Cremation or Funeral Coach
Delivery of Urn
Delivery / Obtaining items
basic / type a
Basic / type a
Cremation or Burial
traditional / type b
traditional / type b
Cremation or Burial
Every municipality in Ontario has a Funeral Assistance Program that will cover the necessary Funeral expenses for those residents that do not have sufficient funds to cover Funeral Costs. These programs are available to all Ontario residents and are simple to apply for. Contact Us for complete information 416.270.2436
Free Funeral, Cremation, Burial, and Memorial Assistance through Ontario Works
Families or individuals already receiving government assistance are pre-qualify, but any family needing assistance can call Affordable Funeral Services for assistance with any questions regarding these services. 416.270.2436
The Municipal Caseworks are thoughtful and very understanding as to your needs and will help you through the entire process.
Contact Affordable Funeral Services and we can assist you to understand your options which are simple and easy to apply for 416-270-2436.
Help with funeral costs
Ontario Works provides help on behalf of deceased residents of Ontario who do not have enough funds in their estate to fully cover funeral costs. The deceased person does not have to have been in receipt of Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefits at the time of death to be eligible.
Assistance with funeral costs can include:
- Funeral services – Ontario Works will pay for the transfer of the body for cremation, burial, or for a traditional funeral service.
- Burial services – Ontario Works will purchase a burial lot. If the deceased person owned a lot, Employment and Social Services will pay to open and close the grave.
- Cremation services – Ontario Works will pay for cremation, including a standard urn. Ontario Works also covers the cost of scattering the remains in a cemetery or a burial in a pre-owned plot.
To determine eligibility, a Ontario Works caseworker will consider the financial situation of the deceased person and his/her spouse at the time of death.
How to apply:
- If the deceased person was in receipt of Ontario Works or ODSP, you can come directly to Affordable Funeral Services and we will contact Ontario Works to authorize Payment.
- If the deceased person was not in receipt of Ontario Works or ODSP, you can still apply at an Ontario Works office. We can assist you to book an appointment and find out what information you need to make a funeral application
- must authorize services before you sign a contract with a funeral home or cemetery
- prefers that the executor/executrix start the funeral arrangements (If there is no executor/executrix, the person applying for this help should be the person making the arrangements at the funeral home.)
- is entitled to recover the funeral costs from all sources available to the deceased person
- Ontario Works office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday; if the death occurs after hours or on a weekend/holiday, you must advise the Funeral Director that you plan to apply for financial help from Employment and Social Services
Canadian Pension Plan:
The Canada Pension Plan offers two kinds of financial assistance for families of contributors:Death benefit to cover funeral expenses.
The one-time death benefit payment is paid to the deceased’s estate, up to a maximum of $2,500, based on the length of time contributions to CPP have been made.
Contact Affordable Funeral Services and we can assist you to understand your options which are simple and easy to apply for 416-270-2436.Monthly pension for survivors.
Surviving spouses and dependent children may receive a pension if the deceased contributed to CPP for three consecutive years or more (some restrictions apply).For those who qualify, surviving spouses may receive:
- A maximum pension of up to $451 per month (depending on age, whether they receive other pensions, and length of time contributions were made)
- Up to $171.33 per month for each dependent child – a dependent child is defined as being under 18 years of age, or between 18 and 25 and in full-time attendance at school, college or university
- Benefits from the month after the contributor’s death
These benefits are paid only to those who apply, and although back payments may be made, failure to apply within a year of the death will result in lost benefits. Applications may be made to Health and Welfare Canada, Income Security.
The Caseworks are thoughtful and very understanding as to your needs and will help you through the entire process.
Affordable Funeral Services is available to assist you at any time – 416-270-2436 (24 Hours)